The 48 Hour Film Project is a wild and sleepless weekend in which you and a team make a movie–write, shoot, and edit–in just 48 hours. On Friday night, teams draw a genre from a hat. They are then given a character, prop and line to include in their films. On Sunday night, in a wild dash to the drop off event, the film is turned in—and teams celebrate. The film is then screened at a local theater in front of an audience of filmmakers, friends, and families.
The 48HFP takes local filmmaking international, in 130 cities around the world, on 6 continents. If you win your city, you have entered the international arena. Filmmakers from each winning city are invited to screen their films at Filmapalooza, the end-of-year event, and the filmmakers meet (and party) at a "filmmaking Olympic village" as they compete for the international title of Best Film.
The 48HFP began in 2001, now, over 30,000 films later, the 48 Hour Film Project has become a rite of passage for filmmakers around the world:
- More than 900 competitions have taken place around the world
- More than 30,000 short films made
- More than 390,000 filmmakers have taken part
- Nine special screenings at the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner
- More than $800,000 in cash and prizes awarded to filmmakers
- And 14 Filmapaloozas to date
The tight deadline of 48 hours puts the focus squarely on the filmmakers—emphasizing creativity and teamwork. While the time limit places an unusual restriction on the filmmakers, it is also liberating by putting an emphasis on doing instead of talking.
Important dates to remember:
- Early Bird: $148 USD/team ends Mon, Jul 23
- Regular: $168 USD/team ends Tue, Aug 7
- Late: $188 USD/team ends Fri, Aug 17
- August 17th at 6:00pm - KICK OFF at Studio 615
- August 17th at 7:30pm (to be on time) - DROP OFF at Studio 615
- August 21st & 22nd at 7:00pm & 9:15pm - SCREENINGS at the Belcourt Theater
- August 30th at 7pm - AWARDS & AFTER PARTY at Studio 615
To register and for more info go to: http://www.48hourfilm.com/nashville